Saturday, October 23, 2010

parking tower

This is a picture of a parking tower in German. 

Parking towers like this are seen more and more around the world nowadays because of the increasing number of cars and limited space available for parking.
I still remember I was totally amazed and shocked when I saw a parking tower the first time. Today, when I was looking at this picture, I suddenly wonder, can we build a housing tower like this?

As a college student, I hate moving. Every year, I have to move all my stuff out of the dorm and move into a new dorm room. I always wish I could just take my room and bring with me to the next destination of mine. There are probably many people like me, especially young people, who have to rent cheap, small spaces when going to school or first start working and don't like moving. If we can build a housing tower, we can all keep our room and take this room with us to wherever we go. The room could just be like a shipping container with our bed, desk, dresser and everything we need in it. Whenever we need to go to a new place, we can use our car to drag it from one housing tower to another one at a different place. In fact, it will just work like hotels except I get to be in my OWN room all the time! How exciting is that!

Here is a sketch of my "housing towers":
This house has a cuboid shape with a courtyard in the middle. There is an elevator for moving the house at one of the corners. Different floors are for rooms that stays for different length of time, which helps to decide where exactly to place each room. The architecture itself is basically a skeleton. When we want to move a room in, we start from the first floor, move it up using the elevator and then move the room horizontally to the slot it needs to be in.

If every city has one of this "parking tower" for rooms, many people can take their own room with them when they do short road trips or visit a friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment